Getting people to come to your own website, and keeping them there by having them take action.
You can measure followers all you want. But the reality is – they are not your followers or your connections. You have no control over them. You are at the mercy of a 3rd party to let you interact with them. They are not at yourcompany.com. Most of them probably don’t know if you have a website, or what it is if you do. You are at the mercy of Facebook or Twitter or [INSERT ANY SITE NAME HERE] to let you communicate with those people. If any of the large social sites is attacked or goes down for any reason you lose any and all ability to communicate with all of your connections and followers.
The only place were you have complete and unfettered access to everything about your brand and your customers is on your own real estate on the internet – your own website. Your goal every single day that you are marketing your business should be to get people to your site so they take action there: You want them to bookmark it, put it in their RSS reader, call you, or sign up for your mailing list. When you are sharing items on the various other sites you should have people going to your site to get the full story. Post a teaser on Facebook but link to the full story on the company blog on your site. Don’t keep your blog on Facebook or blogger.com. Keep it at yourdomain.com. It is very easy to get the free version of WordPress installed on your own domain so you have complete control of your content.
So starting today you need to:
- Start directing people to your website via your links that you send out
- Constantly remind people of your company website name. Encourage them to visit it often
- Encourage people on your site to add you to their RSS reader
- Encourage people to sign up for your mailing list so they can receive the latest and greatest information before anybody else.
- Bonus: Encourage people to give you their cell phone number so you can text them information that may be timely
If you don’t know how contact me and I will show you how.